Friday, August 19, 2011

The Importance of Heroes

Dr. Denenberg offered numerous suggestions for how to incorporate the study of heroes into EVERY classroom.  I LOVED the extremely creative projects that he brought to our attention.  I can see my students really engaging with the "history" pack that he modeled for us.  It started my wheels turning about which heroes of my own curriculum I could introduce with a "history" pack.  Additionally, I really liked the suggestion that he made to put information about heroes on our classroom bathroom passes.  I have often observed my students dilly-dallying from the bathroom back to my classroom, and I know if they had that little bit of information to help keep their minds occupied they would definitely use it.  Finally, I really appreciated the emphasis that Dr. Denenberg placed on the character traits that were specific to different heroes.  It can be difficult for my students to fully comprehend what it means to "persevere" or to be "steadfast."  I feel as though knowing personal stories about individuals would help students make connections to these words and consequently better understand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment