Friday, August 19, 2011

Historical Fiction

As a personal lover of historical fiction, I LOVED the book suggestions that Dr. Fran Macko made for different units that we teach throughout the school year.  I find that my students really respond well to information presented in picture books because it has become such a novelty for them by the time that they are in 5th grade.  I also really enjoy the Dear America series and am often able to use them in my leveled reading groups.  I will be on the lookout for the titles that she presented in the workshop.  Additionally, I really appreciated the many links that she was able to make between the social studies standards and language arts standards.  With the current time crunches that many educators are under, it's really helpful to be able to "kill two birds with one stone."  Thanks for a wonderful presentation Dr. Mack!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becca! I use many picture books to teach language arts standards, and the students love them. I will now begin to build a collection of picture books with history content. Hopefully, we can all share our finds, and hopefully find books with which we can teach language arts and history content.

    ReplyDelete